Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Poverty as a Stressor

Growing up we did not always have what we wanted, but our NEEDS were always met. When people think poverty, the first thing that comes to mind is someone who  has little to nothing and is doing really bad in life. But in all cases, this is not the cases. Most people in poverty are working check to check just to make ends meet and they live in subsidized housing. This is what I grew up in as a young girl. I did not go to school with raggedy clothes and naughty hair. I was always kept up and my mother made sure of it. According to the federal guidelines, we were considered poverty stricken because my mom did not meet the criteria to be considered as a middle class citizen, or able to survive on her own. When I was a little girl, not having some of the things that other kids had kind of made me jealous, but as I got older it began to fade away and I just learned to be thankful regardless of any situation. One of the perks about poverty, is that there are plenty of services available to you. My mom took full advantage of all the services so that we would not have to come out of pocket so much on food, medical appointments, dental appointments, eye appointments etc. Not only were receiving help from the government, but we also had family that was helping out when they could as well as the church. 

The country of Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. According to text 2/3 of the population is live in poverty and of the adult population is illiterate. The economy has declined majorly because of lack of support from the government and their policies. President Rene' Preval wants to translate good wishes into donor contributions and constructive government programs that promote the well-being and improve the livelihood of the Haitian people. This will help to keep food afloat for the community as well as bring about a change in the families where they are able to go out and work to make a better lives for themselves and families. 

https://www.usip.org/publications/2006/07/haitis-economic-challenge

2 comments:

  1. I also grew up in a subsidized complex and received assistance from the government. That just showed me to work harder as a kid so when i grew up I could have better options. I am glad it did not affect you negatively so many of my friends did not finish high school and now live in that same complex we grew up in. Haiti has been an ongoing place where aid is needed, you would think that it would have ended by now. Its said to even read about it, looking at those children starve the way they do, when would it ever end. I enjoyed you blog post hope to read more about you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you about poverty girl. I grew up struggling as well but was blessed that we did have some income to where we weren't in the housing complexes in Chicago- that were riddled with atrocities. Poverty is literally killing our children from stress, lack of nutrition, health and enviormental risks that can cause developmental delays, as well as lack of resources that make it possible to move into a better community. I am glad you had a family and support system that was able to assist you and your family in getting through as a communal effort is always needed to raise a child.

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

TIME WELL SPENT   The top three things that I learned from the program and what stuck with me the most is the importance of being ant...