Search This Blog

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Birthing Experience

    The Birthing Experience 



       A personal birthing experience that I am going to speak about are those of my kids. I have a 8 year old and a 5 year old, and I experienced C-sections with both. With my daughter I was trying to have a vaginal delivery, and boy was that painful. I went a while without medicine, then finally I asked for my epidural. Since I had a c-section with my daughter, the same was for my son. This time I was immediately numb and alert throughout the whole process. 

    The reason I chose the example of my kids was because it is the birth that meant a lot to me. I was young during both times, but to experience the joy of birthing a human and carrying them for 9/10 months is an excitement to remember. Birth plays a major role in child development. If anything goes wrong during the first few moments of the birthing process it could affect the child for the rest of their lives. This when doctors foresee problems, they complete immediate c-sections for the health and safety of both mom and baby. 
    
        Births is Congolese Africa are much more different than the United States because they view Cesarean as failure on the mother's behalf and they try hard to avoid them. Although they have inadequate health facilities some still choose to give birth in a hospital. Boys are always circumcised, as well as some girls (only 5%). This includes the cutting of the clitoris and partial or full removal of the labia minora. Although different parts of the world, some things remain the same such as having babies in hospitals and giving boys circumcisions. The differences will be that no girls in America have circumcisions, and when needed, we will have a cesarean in a heartbeat. 

    Both birthing experiences have their similarities and differences, but I guess both have their ways of doing what is best for the child. The article that I read also mentioned that within 3-14 days the child is passed through smoke head down a few seconds, then they are released to mom. This is done so that the child will not be as Americans say a "punk", but stand their own ground.




https://africantribesuws.wordpress.com/birth-and-childhood-rituals/
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chanelle :)

    Great post and I enjoyed reading your blog. Whether you were young or not, I am sure you are a phenomenal mother. I, also, ad a C-section and I had to due to my situation and because my son was so small.

    I know compared to Congo, The United States has better health care facilities and better trained staff. However, I have experienced similar attitudes about C-sections from staff and professionals (surprising). I immediately became defensive because I don't know any mother that chooses a major surgery as a first option. Even if they did, a C-section is still giving birth and does not discredit motherhood in any way.

    I enjoyed reading your blog and thank you for your condolences. I hope your children bring as much joy to your life as my son brings to mine. He may not be here physically but his spirit lives on.

    Looking forward to talking more the next few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your birth experience. I am always fascinated to hear birth stories, especially having never experienced one myself. It is amazing how different the world's practices can be giving birth. Female circumcision is something that many people are unaware of. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

TIME WELL SPENT   The top three things that I learned from the program and what stuck with me the most is the importance of being ant...