Search This Blog

Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression



The most prominent memory of me witnessing bias and prejudice is in the movies and shows that depict slavery and any other injustice done to African-Americans. Most times as I watch how the slaves and African-Americans were treated in the 1800's and early 1900's it brings tears to my eyes, because it makes you think , what could they have done so wrong to deserve the hate they were given. It was the same for Jesus, he was beaten, spit on, and everything else and he had done nothing wrong. The same goes for Blacks, even the dogs got treated better then they did and all because of the color of their skin. 

When the dominant culture used and abused Blacks it diminished equity in a major way because we were not allowed to do what they do. For example, Blacks had a school and Whites had a school. Whites had a water fountain, Blacks had a water fountain. Their biases caused for segregation in the United States, and it now seems as though they are trying to bring it back. 

When I see how my people were treated, and are still being treated it makes me sad and at the same time angry because they had no choice but to sit their and endure. Watching movies such as Roots and Rosa Parks brings brings both sadness and joy to my spirits because it shows that although things started off rocky, they always end up smooth and in your favor. 

In order for segregation to come to an end, the dominant culture would have to make a change within themselves so that they are willing to try and understand everyone's differences and biases. 


1 comment:

  1. Chanelle,
    Hello! Great post! I can relate to watching the tv shows and movies that depict bias and prejudice through slavery as I grew up. I remember my parents having my brother and I watch the series Roots to understand where we came from. The bought the whole time life series and we watched it several times as children. We were able to ask questions in addition to my parents taking time to explain different things in the movie. Yes, it was very hurtful to see people treated so unfairly for NO REASON. It defiantly gives you a perspective that could lead to negative reaction if not careful. Other more recent movies like Django and Seven Years A Slave help children/adolescents of the 2000's understand about the past, in hopefully a way to change the future. Great post!

    Chandra

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

TIME WELL SPENT   The top three things that I learned from the program and what stuck with me the most is the importance of being ant...