Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Welcoming Families From Around the World

Welcoming Families From Around the World


Image result for Morocco
Morocco Flag


Country of Origin

While working in the Child Development Center, a new student joined our four year old class. The student who has just arrived in my class is from the country of Morocco which is located in Africa. 


5 Ways to be Culturally Responsive

  1. The first way I will be culturally responsive is to learn all I can about the country, especially the culture so I can know what to do and what not to do.
     2. Along with the American culture, I will also expose the students to the culture of                     Morocco so that the student will not feel excluded.

     3. I will incorporate the Moroccan culture into learning areas around the classroom such             as reading, dramatic play, and science.

     4. I will have a show-n-tell day where each child can share something about their culture           and heritage, this way the student can explain to us more about where she is from. 

     5. Finally, I will have a Moroccan day so that we all can explore the culture of Morocco

I hope these preparations make a impact on the family in many ways so that they know we care for their family and that we are not here to judge or criticize. I also want the family to feel safe and secure knowing that their child is in good care, and we all want to learn and grow with them, and this will be done by exploring the culture. 

3 comments:

  1. I feel when we add the child's home culture along with the new culture it makes the child feel at home and welcomes them into a new setting. I feel being able to meet the family before they arrive in the classroom will help the family feel good about the new adventure. Also preparing the children in the classroom that they will be having a new student will help prepare them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that exposing the current students to Morocco's culture before the new student arrives is a great idea to get them excited about having a new classmate and also making that new classmate feel welcomed right away. It also allows your current students to be able to think of questions that they might have for their new friend! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions, Chanelle:)

    I love how you will plan to incorporate Morroocan culture intonthe daily lives of the children through play and their toys and sensory items. This gives them a hands on learnijg experience that can be self-guided to explore the differrnt elements of the culture without it being overwhelming

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

TIME WELL SPENT   The top three things that I learned from the program and what stuck with me the most is the importance of being ant...