Search This Blog

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Child Poverty

I have not yet established contact with my international cohorts, so I read the UNICEF article regarding child poverty. The UNICEF article speaks about monetary and non-monetary deprivations that have an effect on the well-being of a child (UNICEF, 2012). They began conducting research and the results can be found on the website.

The country that I chose to was the country of Cambodia. For Cambodia, poorer households include a higher number of children, and more than 50% of children live in the bottom 33% of households (Analysis of child deprivation and inequality in Cambodia, 2013). The article also states that, little more than half have access to clean water and more than half defecate in the open (Analysis of child deprivation and inequality in Cambodia, 2013). For children under the age of 5 malnutrition is high, and because they lack the adequate amount of nutrition, 40% of the children are stunted (Analysis of child deprivation and inequality in Cambodia, 2013). Although the children are suffering, there is still progress being made. According to Analysis of child deprivation and inequality in Cambodia, Cambodia has made some commendable progress on enhancing development outcomes for children, while achieving the fastest poverty reduction globally (2013).  If we continue to step in and help these countries in any way we can, they will continue to grow. It may not bring them completely out of poverty, but it will be "one giant leap" from where they were.

The three insights that I gained from the website are that UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. They believe that children have the right to survive, thrive, and fulfill their potential. I also learned that UNICEF advocate to give children the best start in life, because proper care at the youngest age forms the strongest foundation for a person’s future (UNICEF, 2016). Researching and learning from the UNICEF website will be a big asset to my profession because it allows me to view poverty internationally. Having only one view point on things can stunt a lot of growth and learning, but when you view things from many angles it shows you what you can do to help out and become more involved.


Resources
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxtDEpAhxtUaMVV1Tnc5ZW1kSFk/edit
https://www.unicef.org/about-us


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your research regarding the poverty young children face in cambodia, some of the challenges these children face are very similar to the children dealing with poverty in Nigeria. What made you decide on Cambodia? Do you know anyone from this country? I agree each contribution regardless of the amount is a step towards helping to make a difference. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Chanelle!!! I remember my dad used to tell me when I didn't want to finish my dinner growing up, there are children in Africa starving. I DID NOT know what he was talking about until I got older and it is still happening today. Things that we take for granted, running/drinking water, bathrooms and the abundancy of food, they are lacking significantly. Exposing our children whether at home or at school to the conditions in Cambodia and other areas, by pictures or books would maybe spark an interest in getting them to help collect donations or other items to send to Cambodia. It's not a lot but it is a start.

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

TIME WELL SPENT   The top three things that I learned from the program and what stuck with me the most is the importance of being ant...