Search This Blog

Friday, July 7, 2017

Expanding Horizons/Resources

The blog assignment for this week was really interesting to me because it brought me out of my comfort zone. If it were left upon to me listen to podcast, it probably would have never gotten done, but because it was an assignment I had no choice. I am glad that I listened to the podcasts because they enlightened me on the importance of education not just in America, but around the world. 

The steps that I took to found the podcast were following the Link given and began with the George Foreman podcast. I then clicked on the episodes tab and it brought me to other podcasts of educators throughout the world. Thus far I have listened to Susan Lyon, Delfena Mitchell, and Barbara Jones. All three ladies have helped education in many ways such as beginning organizations to breaking barriers. 

The website that I chose is the National Black Child Institute. My reason for choosing this website is because I am the mother of African-American children, and also a teacher for them as well. As exploring the website the first thing that caught my attention was the mission which is "to improve and advance the quality of life for Black children and their families through education and advocacy” (NBCDI, 2017). They not only have a vision for black children, but all children and that is to be successful. The organization is the only one dedicated to working exclusively with African-American children and their families on advocating on issues such as education, health, and care. NBCDI holds annual conferences and programs that  focus on health and wellness, literacy, family engagement, and preparation for college.

All of the items that I chosen were for a purpose and that was to help make me a better person in my field of work as well as in my community. Although I contemplated on the podcasts, I am satisfied with those in which I chose because they spoke directly to me. 

Be encouraged in whatever decisions you make, know that they all serve a purpose. With that being said, which podcast and website did you choose and why?



Resources
https://www.nbcdi.org/who-we-are
https://www.nbcdi.org/what-we-do




3 comments:

  1. Hi Chanelle,

    I looked at this website as one of my choices when I couldn't decide which one to pick. Anyway that we as black/African American women can change the way we teach in our classroom and change the way our kids think and make their world around them better, I'm all for it! I thought the podcasts were going to be long and boring but I was wrong and like you I enjoyed listening to it. I listened several times because each time I picked up on something I didn't hear the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chanelle
    I enjoyed reading your blog I agree that as Black women we can continue to make a tremendous impact in our society and the lives not only of Black/African Americans and children of color but also in the lives of all children. I am looking forward to learning more about the National Black Child Institute. this was high on my list, however, I chose Head Start having work for this program for the past nine years and truly believing in the vision and philosophy of this organization. I also enjoyed listening to the podcast of George Forman, and Susan Lyons and went a step farther to listen to Delfena Mitchell and Meridas Yora and found their stories to be very inspiring and uplifting. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS another website that I think you may find intriguing is BAM radio http://www.headstarttrainingonline.com/index.cfm?id=167

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

TIME WELL SPENT   The top three things that I learned from the program and what stuck with me the most is the importance of being ant...